Within the GTP, the Database group are responsible for supporting over 5000 Oracle, Sybase and MSSQL Servers. DBAs are responsible for the support of both production and development servers. The team is split between the Oracle and Sybase/MSSQL teams. It is as a Senior DBA in the Sybase/MSSQL team that is currently being sought. The team is responsible for undertaking all Sybase and MSSQL related production support and project work for above areas. The environment is a mixture of Sybase versions ranging from 12.5 to 15.0 and MSSQL server 2005 and 2008. Sybase replication server is used extensively. There will be a requirement for weekend working. The successful candidate will be an experienced Sybase/MSSQL DBA with production support and project based Database Administration experience, ideally gained in a financial institution or busy production support environment. They must be self- motivated, responsible, confident and have the ability to multi task and prioritise under often changing and challenging workloads. They must have the ability to follow standards and procedures, but have the confidence to proactively challenge where appropriate. They must be a good team player that is willing to share information, knowledge and ideas amongst fellow DBAs / SA's and Unix / DBA team managers. Equally as important, they must display a high level of common sense and commitment. The candidate will probably have experience of being the project leader (or being the technical lead) of Sybase projects involving business critical systems (e.g. new builds, multi-way replication, performance tuning projects Additionally, the candidate will be expected to work alongside development teams in an advisory capacity and to present ideas and project plans to senior management. The DBA Team currently provide onsite cover between 07:00 and 19:00 Monday to Friday, on a staggered shift basis, which the candidate is expected to participate in. There will also be occasions where weekend work will be required. The candidate would be expected to participate in an overnight/weekend on-call support rota. Proactively drive the ongoing maintenance and optimization of preventative maintenance activities .
Manage interfaces to other Infrastructure support teams such as UNIX, WINTEL, Network, IT Facilities, Backup, Storage, Monitoring, Security etc.
Provide 2nd level support to Sybase and MSSQL vendor teams, including training
Participate in and drive improvements in Global Support Model Assist vendors with implementation of new servers, including bank-standard build and QA process
Provide 2nd level support to application support teams managing Sybase or MSSQL based apps
Responsible for installation, configuration and updates of systems related software, firmware, operating systems patches and upgrades
Support application development teams with Version upgrades, application releases, and cloning / creating copies of existing databases for testing and development purpose.
Support day to day maintenance and operation of databases including table space maintenance, providing expertise and recommendation on performance tuning, and consultancy requests where application development teams require Sybase or MSSQL DBA expertise.
Daily reactive Incident and Service Request support for Sybase and MSSQL Databases globally via hotline and ticketing systems. Perform triage, initial troubleshooting, and escalation.
Provide on-going assistance to other service providers with new implementations and support issues
Participate in and contribute to strategic bank initiatives & programs, including but not limited to Sybase and MSSQL patching security initiatives, integration of mergers and acquisitions, and optimization of our production server and database estate.
• Sybase versions 12.5 through 15.7
• Sybase Replication Server
• Sybase IQ (desirable)
• Reporting Services
• Analysis Services
• Server and Database Clustering concepts
• Demonstrable experience of managing high-performance, high-capacity databases in a critical production environment.
• build, general administration, troubleshooting (Break/Fix) and performance tuning skills.
• Expertise in SQL & Database Level performance tuning skills
• Willingness to work in 24*7 Global support model.
• Aid development teams for analyzing issues.
• Excellent troubleshooting, diagnostic & analytical skills. • Excellent communication & coordination skills is required.
• Strong initiative and sense of ownership.
• Expert knowledge of database scripting and automation technology.
• Excellent written and verbal communications.
• Experience working with offshore vendors.
• Builds positive working relationships, works collaboratively with other team members, and is a team player.
• Experience in a large corporate environment • Competent in Change/Release Management ( ITIL based - preferably ITIL Foundation Certified)
• Experience in maintenance and management of databases using state of the art industry management tools.
• Expertise in complex database upgrades
3-4 years of experience in Sybase and MSSQL databases on UNIX platforms, preferably in the financial sector 4 year degree or equivalent industry experience
Mastery of English
Must have experience in the banking industry.